Subject: Beautiful white winged antlion
Location: Central Kalahari, Botswana
April 9, 2015 7:37 am
Hey guys 🙂
I found this antlion in the beginning of march, and I have never seen such a beautiful antlion!!
It came to our dining area in our camp during the evening, when we had the lights on. I haven’t seen it since that one night and some of the guys that have been here for several years, had never seen it before. We see a lot of Bark Antlions and Dotted Veld Antlions along with several others and have antlion larvea spread throughout the camp. The surrounding landscape is bushveld of Acacia and T. sericae.
I hope you can help me with an ID of the species, since I haven’t had much luck by myself… Otherwise, can we at least agree that it IS an amazing antlion 😀
Signature: Mathias

Antlion

Painted Antlion

Dear Mathias,
This truly is a gorgeous Antlion, and we thought we had an identity for you when we quickly discovered a matching image on the Walk in Africa blog, but alas, it is only identified as an Antlion with no species name.
  We located additional images on iSpot where it is identified as a Painted Antlion, Tomatares citrinus.  We also discovered it pictured on a stamp from Zimbabwe on the Insects on Stamps site.

Antlion

Painted Antlion

Painted Antlion on a stamp from Zimbabwe

Location: Botswana