Subject: Moth
Location: Bakersfield, Ca.
April 8, 2015 11:41 am
Hi, I live in Bakersfield, California. The Verbena is crazy this year (April 2015) and this moth along with a tons of Painted Lady Butterflies are having a ball. I had no idea how many species of moths there are so I am lost trying to ID this one. Can you????
Signature: Thanks, Mary Rosica.

Possibly Owlet Moth

Alfalfa Looper

Dear Mary,
We believe this is a Noctuoid Moth, probably an Owlet Moth in the family Noctuidae, but we haven’t a clue as to anything more specific.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide further information.  We are curious if this moth is strictly diurnal.  See BugGuide if you want to browse through images of Owlet Moths.

Daniel, thanks for a direction to go! I will look for sure. They are very active and almost never stop beating their wings. Was hard to get a still shot with the wings open. Never seen so many and during the day as well. Obviously, my cat Ebby finds all the activity very fascinating.
Again, thank you!
Mary

Update:  April 10, 2015
We just approved a comment from Ben indicating that this looks like an Alfalfa Looper, Autographa californica, and according to BugGuide:  “adults are active day and night, and are attracted to light.”

Yes!!!! That’s it. Also looked for other pictures on the net under images and found him big as day. You folks are great!! Thank you so much.
Mary

Location: Bakersfield, California

2 Responses to Alfalfa Looper

1. Ben says:

Looks like Autographa californica (the Alfalfa Looper) to me!