Subject: insect identification
Location: Sindh, Pakistan.
I encounterd this insect in a public bathroom. I suspect it might be a cockroach but I have never seen anything like this. I do not know if the brown shell is another insect or an egg. I am very eager to know what insect this is.
Signature: Zayd M

Metamorphosis of a Cockroach

Metamorphosis of a Cockroach

Dear Zayd,
You witnessed the metamorphosis of a Cockroach.  Unlike the literary Franz Kafka version where a man is transformed into a Cockroach, the metamorphosis process is a natural means for insects and other creatures to grow and mature.  Insects and other Arthropods have hard exoskeletons that do not grow.  When the insect outgrows its exoskeleton, it molts, shedding the old skin, and then the insect expands in size.  In your image, the old exoskeleton is dark and the new exoskeleton is white and soft.  It will soon darken and harden and the Cockroach will be larger than before the metamorphosis.

Location: Sindh, Pakistan