Subject: help identifying beetle?
Location: Oregon
Hello! While backpacking at Cottonwood Canyon State Park in N/Central Oregon (E of the Cascades) this past weekend I found this beetle. Saw at least three of them. It is a sandy/dry location, lots of sagebrush.
Perhaps in the Carabidae (ground beetle) family? The gold accents really stand out. No one seems to know what it is and Google is failing me! Hoping you can assist. Thanks!
Signature: Audrey Addison

Possibly Darkling Beetle

Dune Beetle

Dear Audrey,
We are certain that this is not a Ground Beetle, but we are not certain of its exact identity.  We believe it is most likely a Darkling Beetle in the family Tenebrionidae or a Leaf Beetle in the family Chrysomelidae, but alas, we are in a rush this morning and we don’t have time to research its exact identity.  We are posting your image and perhaps one of our readers will write in with an identity.  If not, we will continue the research tomorrow.

Eric Eaton confirms Darkling Beetle
Hi, Daniel:
It is a darkling beetle called a “dune beetle,” in the genus Coelus.  Never saw one of these when I lived out there.  Neat find!

Thanks Eric,
We are linking to the BugGuide page on the genus.  Checking out the comments, we do believe it appears more like a member of the genus
Eusattus, and in our opinion, based on images posted to BugGuide, it looks closest to Eusattus muricatus, a species with a much greater range than other members of the genus.

Eric Eaton responds
Well, shoot, I don’t know.  I never saw Eusattus out there, either, though in Arizona and here in Colorado, Eusattus is most definitely most abundant in the *fall*, not the spring.

Awesome!! I struggled trying to find any information on this beetle! Thank you for your help!!
Audrey

Location: Oregon

9 Responses to Dune Beetle from Oregon

1. Audrey says:

Yeah!! That looks like it!

Definitely Eusattus sp. Probably Eusattus dilatatus – dune darkling beetle. Our camera didn’t pick up the fine hair details. We’ll have to take another trip out there.

My faith in the internet restored.

Thank you!!

2. Kevin says:

Looks like it could be Eusattus dilatatus. We have found these in the Dumont Dunes in Death Valley, California