Subject: Judean Milkweed Grasshopper
Location: Judean Desert, Israel
March 22, 2015 1:35 am
Hello Bugman,
I was on a hike in the Judean Desert last week, and I came across a few interesting and beautiful insects. This milkweed grasshopper is one I haven’t seen in a long time. I presume it’s a male because of its relatively small size (about 4cm long), and the wings extend beyond the abdomen, but I’m not sure.
He was very calm, sat still for a good photo op.
Signature: Ben from Israel

Milkweed Grasshopper

Usher-Hopper

Hi Ben,
We believe your Grasshopper is a male Poekilocerus bufonius which we first identified on Age Fotostock and then verified on
PBase where it is called an Usher-Hopper.  Encyclopedia of Life does place it in the family Pyrgomorphidae.  Remember, in the future, you should submit larger digital files.

Location: Judean Desert, Israel

2 Responses to Grasshopper from Israel is Usher-Hopper

1. DAVID FACTOR says:

You should add that the Usher-Hopper is poisonous, containing a nasty neurotoxin. Note the danger colors: Look, but don’t touch.

Thanks for providing that comment. That is a characteristic of many of the Toxic Milkweed Grasshoppers in the family Pyrgomorphidae.