Subject: What’s this bug?
Location: Queens, NY
I live in an apartment in Queens, NY and we have these little bugs swarming on our kitchen counter, close to the wall. They’re close to the sink. We also see them on the edge of the sink in our bathroom.
They’re pretty calm, but dart around when you bother them (like when I took their picture).
Do you know what these are? Thank you!
Signature: E

Springtail

Springtail

Dear E,
This is a Springtail, arguably the most common hexapod on the planet.  Springtails are beneficial creatures that help break down organic matter, and though they are fine in nature and in the garden, they can become a nuisance indoors.  Springtails thrive under damp conditions, and since you are finding them near the sink, we can’t help but wonder if you have a leaky pipe that is causing problems inside the walls.  If mold is growing, it can be acting as a food source for the Springtails.  You might want to get the plumbing checked.

Location: Queens, New York

3 Responses to Springtails inside home

1. E says:

Thank you for your quick identification of my bug picture! It’s nice to put a name to the bug 🙂 I’m going to speak to my landlord about it.

Thank you!

2. These Springtails, are every where in my home now. It is driving me out of my mind as well. I live in Cecil county Md, and this summer just noticed these black, to gray bugs, that will jump just like a flea, when bothered. From, a small parasite size, to a ant like size and also black. Please can someone please tell me how to kill these bugs, please!!!! I am going out of my mind, because it seems like every where I do look, I see them every where also.I am a very clean person, but I feel as if I am not at all like this now. Please someone help me, please. Sincerely, Joyce Welcher..

3. lisa says:

I live in queens ny, and kill them they jump, bugs also when u approach to found them in the tub the on my bed crawling on the floor I though it was a roach, put it in a bag but they are different than the ones that jump, also by my computer area , I feel them on my legs and they bite ,,help, my superintendent said he also has them in his apartment but does not know what they are, so every one has damp and leaks? all of a sudden?