Subject: Bug from natural pool near Chiang Mai, Thailand
Location: Near Chiang Mai, Thailand
G’day Bugman,
My wife and I were enjoying our honeymoon throughout SE Asia, and in one spot near Chiang Mai I came across an insect the likes I have never encountered before
Signature: John

Water Strider

Water Strider

Dear John,
This is a Water Strider in the family Gerridae, a group of insects that are also known as “Pond Skaters, Jesus Bugs, Water Skippers” according to BugGuide, a North American insect website.  Water Striders skim across ponds and other bodies of water on long legs that distribute the insect’s weight so as not to break the tension of the surface of the water.
  Water Striders prey on insects that fall into the water.  Here is an image from the Insects of Thailand site.  We suspect your individual is immature as it does not have fully developed wings, but we cannot say for certain as we believe some species of Water Striders are wingless. 

Water Strider

Water Strider

Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand