Subject: Help!
February 25, 2015 10:37 am
Bugman, what in the heavens is this world coming to? I was starving and wishing that someone would make me a hot meal when I went outside and noticed this monstrosity out on the cement! Now I don’t know about you, but I think it’s safe to say that this creature is a sure fire fact that evolution exists as it is most certainly something entirely new!
PS. I hope you appreciate my photography skills as I almost lost my head taking them!
Signature: Tight Red Jeans

Whitelined Sphinx

Whitelined Sphinx

Dear Tight Red Jeans,
This Whitelined Sphinx or Striped Morning Sphinx,
Hyles lineata, is one of the most common, larger moths found in California.  When conditions are right, great quantities of the edible caterpillars are found on desert plants, and they will metamorphose into moths that are generally seen at dawn or dusk, are attracted to lights, and that are easily mistaken for hummingbirds.  You could have eaten the moth to prevent starvation.  We are curious to find out how you almost lost your head.

One Response to Whitelined Sphinx

1. Jordan says:

Gorgeous pic! Very interesting that it is apparently common but you’d never seen one before. Thanks for sharing.