Subject: Sphingidae, Hawkmoth, possibly Hemaris? caterpillar
Location: Nagoya, Japan
February 12, 2015 6:22 am
Here is a hornworm, found in November in Nagoya, Japan, which I have been trying in vain to identify for a few months. I thought it might be a Hummingbird Clearwing Hawk-Moth, but it has slightly different coloration. It was found on a night time walk near a thickly wooded and planted city park. It was across the street from any foliage and walking down the sidewalk toward a noodle restaurant. Assuming it was looking (in the wrong direction) for a place to pupate, I picked it up and carried it back into the park. It tried to ‘burrow’ between my fingers until I gave it a leaf.
I apologize for the night flash photos, but I didn’t have anything to carry it home in, and I wanted it to have a chance to pupate if possible. I placed it under a bush and when it lay passively, I gave it a poke with a leaf. It immediately displayed a defensive flail that gave us both a heart attack! I have been searching through Sphingidae of Japan, but there is very little information and I have only found one other photo that matches the pale green sides with darker green stripes, tiny red lateral spots and blue ‘horn’. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!
Signature: James

Hornworm

Hornworm

Dear James,
We have posted your Hornworm image, and we hope to be able to provide you with an identification very soon.

Location: Nagoya, Japan