Subject: Query of insect
Location: South West Rocks NSW
February 13, 2015 8:16 pm
Found this visitor in the garden at South West Rocks NSW and cant identify it. Can you help
Signature: Phil Young

Assassin Bug

Assassin Bug

Dear Phil,
This is a beneficial predatory Assassin Bug in the family Reduviidae, but we cannot find an exact visual match on the Brisbane Insect website.  Assassin Bugs should be handled with caution as they can deliver a painful bite. We found a close match on FlickR that is identified as the Common Assassin Bug,
Pristhesancus plagipennis.  The Common Assassin Bug is well represented on the Brisbane Insect Website, but the coloration looks different, so there may be regional variations, of something may be misidentified.

Assassin Bug

Assassin Bug

Thanks so much for the help with this. Not what I’d thought of. An always careful with insects and let them come and go. Glad to know it’s a beneficial predator. Again thank you. Phil

Location: South West Rocks, New South Wales, Australia

2 Responses to Assassin Bug from Australia

1. June Robinson says:

I have been bitten by one of these on 1st February, 8th February today mark is still there and if touched it is very sore, at the time I had a headache for 3 days and felt sick.

2. June Robinson says:

I have had this bug id by pest control.