Subject: Bug eating my lemon tree leaves.
Location: South Florida
February 12, 2015 1:13 pm
I have this bug/beetle eating my little outdoor lemon tree leaves around the edges and is there a treatment for them?
I hope you can help.
Signature: Joe cocchario

Sri Lanka Weevil

Sri Lanka Weevil

Dear Joe,
This is a Sri Lanka Weevil,
Myllocerus undecimpustulatus.  According to BugGuide:  “native to Sri Lanka, adventive and established in so. FL.”  BugGuide also notes:  “in FL, recorded from 55 host plant spp., from palms to roadside weeds, including citrus.”  According to Featured Creatures:  “Leaf-feeding adults damage the foliage of ornamental plants, fruit trees, and vegetables, whereas the larvae injure root systems. Due to its feeding habits, the Sri Lankan weevil could negatively affect subtropical and tropical fruit, ornamental, and vegetable industries here in Florida. The possible impact to the horticulture industry in nurseries, landscape services, and horticultural retailers could reach billions of dollars based on the value they generate in Florida (Kachatryan and Hodges 2012). Extension agents and Master Gardener volunteers around the state have received requests from homeowners for information on the control of this weevil. Botanical gardens and plant nurseries have reported damage due to chewing injury and require effective control measures.”

Leaf Damage due to Weevils

Leaf Damage due to Weevils

Update:  It seems Joe submitted a photo previously posted to our site, so now we cannot be certain that the insect eating his lemon tree leaves is actually a Sri Lanka Weevil.

Location: Florida