Subject: What’s that bug, Dallas, TX
Location: Carrollton, TX
February 12, 2015 5:26 pm
Hello bug enthusiast, me and my daughter caught this one on the mirror at home, it appears to have 6 legs, lacy wings, not overlapping when crawling, and antennas that are pretty long. The color is beige I guess. It’s middle february here is Dallas, Texas, and starting to get warm, pre-spring. It’s small, only the length of a finger width. Thank you, Anette
Signature: Anette and Sofia

Lacewing

Lacewing

Dear Anette and Sofia,
This is a predatory Lacewing (you got that description correct) and they are beneficial as both winged adults and larvae consume large quantities of Aphids and other small insects.  Some folks who are sensitive complain about receiving bites from both adults and larvae, and though there may be an itchy reaction, the bite is not considered dangerous.  Lacewings are often attracted to lights.

Location: Carrollton, Texas

One Response to Lacewing

1. joseph says:

yeah, i got bit by one once while dong yard work. Had a dream this afternoon, in which there was a wall covered in them. I go on the internet and learn all this! Now I know what they’re called and how to finally destroy the aphids.