Subject: Centipede identification
Location: On a beach in Uraquay
February 12, 2015 1:37 am
Hi, My friend who is now (February) in Uraguay has posted a picture of this centipede . Can you identify it? Might it be poisonous? Thanks.
Signature: Paddy (UK)

Centipede

Centipede

Dear Paddy,
This beautiful Tropical Centipede from Uruguay is in the order Scolopendromorpha, and some individuals can get quite large.  They are capable of delivering a venomous bite, and there is general information on the dangers of a bite from a member of this order on BugGuide.
  We haven’t the skills necessary to provide you with a species name, but your individual does resemble the Florida Blue Centipede, Hemiscolopendra marginata, that is pictured on BugGuide.

Dear Daniel
Thank you SO much for that prompt and informative response. Donation via your website on its way! As an ex military jungle warfare instructor, creepy crawlies are of great interest to me. Keep up the good work!
Paddy

Hi again Paddy,
Thanks for your kind words and your generosity.

Location: Uruguay

3 Responses to Centipede from Uruguay

1. Amanda says:

If I see this in home, I’ll pass out for sure, it looks really weird

2. Martin Casco says:

I found a similar species in Managua, Nicaragua. I am also wondering if it is poisonous?