Subject: Hummingbird or Bee Hawk Moth
Location: SE Queensland, Australia
February 10, 2015 10:18 pm
Hello bug people
love your work. My name is Sandra, I leave in Australia, South East Queensland. I have recently had the immense pleasure of photographing a hummingbird-like moth. It was so much like a hummingbird, just incredible and unfortunately we do no have them in Ozland. I am finding it very difficult to ID and the only species that is claimed to live in Australia is Cephonodes sp. However, I think it looks more like Macroglossum stellatarum found in China and other places.
What do you guys think?
I want to write an article on it for Pollinator Link (https://pollinatorlink.wordpress.com/). Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Signature: Sandra Tuszynska

Diurnal Hawkmoth

Diurnal Hawkmoth

Dear Sandra,
We believe we have identified your diurnal Hawkmoth as
Macroglossum micacea based on images posted to Butterfly House where it states:  “The adult moths of this species have dark brown forewings sometimes with indistinct paler bands across them. They have even darker brown hind wings with two yellow areas by the inner margin. The moths have a wingspan of about 5 cms.”  Little other information is provided and the site does not indicate the species flies during the day.  The Sphingidae Taxonomic Inventory shows Queensland as the only part of Australia where sightings have been reported.  Since they are in the same genus, the similarity to Macroglossum stellatarum is understandable.  It is also pictured on the Papua Insects Foundation.  Most online images are of mounted specimens, and we are thrilled to be able to post your excellent action photos of this lovely diurnal Hawkmoth.

Diurnal Hawkmoth

Diurnal Hawkmoth

Hi Daniel
This is really awesome! Thank you so much for your help and speedy reply. I have lots of pics of crazy beautiful looking other creatures I would love to ID and share. I am sure I will post some more when the time comes.
Thanks again for your most awesome service.
Sandra

Macroglossum micacea

Macroglossum micacea

Location: Queensland, Australia