Subject: Unknown bug
Location: Cabazon, ca
February 6, 2015 3:42 am
I’m house hunting and have found this bug in the bathroom while viewing. Wondering what type of bug? And if it is harmful? I have small children, will this bug continue to go inside the house with us living inside? Or did it only go because the home is vacant? Thank you
Signature: To anna

Desert Centipede

Desert Centipede

Hi Anna,
This is a Tropical Centipede in the order Scolopendromorpha.  We believe it is
Scolopendra polymorpha which is pictured on BugGuide.  Your individual looks young, as they grow to about 4 inches in length.  Though Tropical Centipedes often enter homes, they are not a group that is generally found indoors.  Tropical Centipedes are venomous, and the bite is reported to be quite painful, but unless there is an allergic reaction, the bite is not deadly, though some Tropical Centipedes from tropical areas are considered more dangerous.  Individuals from Texas and Oklahoma, Scolopendra heros, are reported to grow up to 8 inches in length. 

Location: Cabazon, California