Subject: Weird Orange Spider UK
Location: Cambridge, UK
January 29, 2015 1:22 am
I found this in our outside covered pool. It is held pretty warm in their all year round. Took some pics and tried to locate what it was but no idea.
Signature: James Sore

Orbweaver

Orbweaver

Hi James,
This is an Orbweaver in the family Araneidae, but we are not certain of the species.  Orbweavers are often large colorful spiders that attract attention because they generally wait for prey in a classic orb web.  Large Orbweavers may bite if carelessly handled, but they are not dangerous to humans.  See some of the individuals on Ray Wilson Bird & Wildlife Photography.
  The Garden Spider, Araneus diadematus, on the Photography Obsession page looks like a good match.  The Garden Spiders pictured on Nature Watch exhibit considerable color variation.

Thank you so very much. It has put my mind at rest. I had never seen one before and was worried that the artificial temperature of the covered pool was harbouring something a bit exotic !!
Thanks once again.
James

Location: Cambridge, UK