Subject: Bug in my chinese apartment
Location: Dongguan, Guangdong, China
Hi Bugman,
My wife found these bugs under our couch cushion and on the wall in our new apartment in Dongguan, Guangdong, China. This located in southern china and it’s January.
I can’t seem to find any pictures or information on what these could be from my research online — can you help identify these? Should she be worried?
Signature: Ryan

Immature Cockroach

Immature Smokey Brown Cockroach

Dear Ryan,
This is an immature Smokey Brown Cockroach, a species that according to the Orkin site:  “They prefer nondwelling areas such as greenhouses, nurseries and gardens but can be an indoor pest. They can be found throughout the southern United States and are most common from Texas to Florida. They have also been found in Southern California. They are major pests in cities such as Houston and New Orleans.”  Many species of Cockroaches that have adapted to living with or near humans now have cosmopolitan distributions, and it can be difficult to trace their place of origin.  We are having a difficult time tracking down information on the distribution of the Smokey Brown Cockroach, and though we don’t normally cite Wikipedia, that universal source of information states:  “The smokybrown cockroach is very common in Japan, as well as the southern United States and tropical climates; notably, it can be found in Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, and other moist Gulf coastal states, and along the southern Mississippi River.”
  The Biodiversity Heritage Library published an article entitled “The pest status of Periplaneta fuliginosa (Serville) (Dictyoptera: Blattidae) in China”.

Thanks for the reply and ID. Apologies for the late response and thank
you…hard to access gmail in China.
Great to know that these were in fact cockroaches — never experienced
them in the US. When some of my Chinese friends said they were
cockroaches, I didn’t know if they were or not because I’ve only seen
pictures of mature ones.
Got an exterminator and cleaned up the hidden areas, so my wife isn’t
quite as angry anymore. I’m sure summer will bring more surprises.
Thanks again!
Ryan

Location: Dongguan, Guangdong, China