Subject: NZ Bug…
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
January 26, 2015 1:17 am
Hi Daniel, encountered this impressive specimen in the backyard this morning. I’d say the body was approximately 4cm long. I’m in New Zealand and its the height of summer here. Do you know what it is?
Signature: Many thanks, Stephen.

House Centipede

House Centipede

Dear Stephen,
This is a House Centipede, probably
Scutigera coleoptrata, though we believe there are other species found in the Southern Hemisphere.  According to Nature Watch New Zealand:  “S. coleoptrata is indigenous to the Mediterranean region, but it has spread through much of Europe, Asia, North America and South America. It is thought to have first been introduced to the Americas in Mexico and Guatemala and now it reaches north into Canada and south to Argentina. … They have been found in eastern and southern Australia, from Perth to Adelaide, South Australia, to Sydney, New South Wales and in Tasmania. Other countries they have been found in include New Zealand, Japan, as well as South Korea.”