Subject: Unknown Spider
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Hi there!
Recently found this little interesting spider in our bathroom down in New Zealand, just thought we’d post it up here for a bit of insight as none of us have a clue
Cheers’
Liam
Signature: Cheers’ Liam O’Connor

Possibly Orbweaver

Teardrop Spider

Dear Liam,
We believe this is an Orbweaver in the family Araneidae, and it has a very distinct, pointed abdomen.  The pointy abdomen should make it easy to identify, but we could not find any matching images in our initial search.  There is a genus in Australia on the Brisbane Insect site with a species known as the Scorpion Tailed Spider, but it has much shorter legs than your individual.

Possibly Orbweaver

Teardrop Spider

Update:  March 7, 2016
Thanks to a comment from Geevee, we now believe this may be a Teardrop Spider,
Argiope protensa.

Location: Auckland, New Zealand

8 Responses to Probably Teardrop Spider from New Zealand

1. Deckez says:

since the spider lack the characteristic shape of abdomen found in the scorpion tailed spider, I would suggest the possibility of a freshly molted orbweaver specimen (such as golden orb weaver)
    in these case, the spider can have a different coloration, and if incident occurred, dimorphism can also be present until the next molt
    Deckez

2. Geevee says:

That ID doesn’t look quite right to me. I strongly suspect it’s something in Argiope sp.
    http://ednieuw.home.xs4all.nl/australian/araneidae/araneidae.html

3. Mark says:

common name “Tailed grass spider”… There is another called “tailed forest spider” which is different to this (Arachnura feredayi)