Subject: Butterfly and moth
Location: Mountain Home
January 10, 2015 3:38 am
Dear Bugman my friend sent these pics from Mountain Home, Arkansas they were on his woods and I am an Illustrator and want to make a wall hanging and also illustrate these species but want to be sure what they are called please and if there is a clearer image of the moth I could use. I am based in the UK so would need web based images if you have one. Thank you for your help.
Signature: Annie

Luna Moth

Luna Moth

Dear Annie,
We wish we knew what time of year these sightings occurred.  The Luna Moth is arguably the loveliest and most distinctive of the diverse North American moths.  Nothing from North America looks quite like the Luna Moth, though the Moon Moth from China is obviously closely related.  The Luna Moth ranges in Eastern North America from Northern Canada to Florida and west to Texas.  The butterflies are Greater Fritillaries known for silver spots on the undersides of the wings like in these Great Spangled Fritillaries.  What type of wall hanging are you making?  You may use images from our site for inspiration for illustrations provided they are sufficiently altered from the original photographic form.

Greater Fritillaries

Greater Fritillaries

Dear Daniel thank you for your reply but not sure if you are telling me the orange spotted butterfly is the greater spangled fritillary?? Thank you for giving me permission to use inspiration from your original images but I was going to use the original photographs which my friend took I just wanted to know the name of the orange butterfly I copied to you. The wall hanging will be illustrated, silk painted, felted, water-coloured and then embroidered and will be called ‘A Walk in the Wild Wood’ which will represent the wildlife in his woods on his property including flowers, birds, animals and trees.  If I were to use any images for inspiration they would be all of my own design using those methods and yours would only be visually used for colours and identification purposes as I have a BA Hons degree in Illustration of course I understand about changing the original and copyright.  Thank you very much for your help. Annie

Thanks for the clarification Annie.  By all means use images on our site for inspiration as the final wall hanging will be textile and not photographic.  The butterflies are Greater Fritillaries in the genus Speyeria, and we believe they are Great Spangled Fritillaries, Speyeria cybele, but this is a difficult genus for us to identify conclusively to the species level.

Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas