Subject: Unknown Costa Rican moth
Location: Sarapiqui, Costa Rica
Hello! I am studying in Costa Rica for this semester (spring 2015) and came across this little guy outside of where we were staying for a few nights. I’ve been trying to identify it for over an hour, with no luck, which surprised me considering how distinct its markings are. Any ideas?
Signature: Lauren

Moth

Tiger Moth

Dear Lauren,
This really is a gorgeous Moth.  Red, green and blue are the primary colors of photography, and this lovely moth is a perfect poster moth for the medium.  We have just returned from a trip and we are swamped with unanswered mail.  We are posting your images Unidentified, and we will contact Lepidopterist Julian Donahue who has spent much time in Costa Rica to see if he can spare us some research, or at least point us in the right direction, but our initial impulse is that this might be an Owlet Moth in the family Noctuidae.

Moth

Tiger Moth

I’m not sure if it’s an owlet moth, since I’m having trouble narrowing it down from just the family, but I hope your Lepidopterist will be able to shed some light on this colorful moth!

We have not yet heard back from Julian.

Julian Donahue Responds
It’s a tiger moth in the genus Neonerita, but can’t put a name on the species.
Julian

Ed. NOte:  Our staff has not succeeded in locating any images online that look remotely like this Tiger Moth.

Lauren Responds
Thanks to your tip, I was able to figure out that this species is called Neonerita incarnata. Interestingly, there’s very little to no information on the web that I’ve been able to dig up – the few things I did find either had no information past the name or were written in Russian (I think). Hopefully I’ll be able to get my hands on an insect book, but I’m glad I know what it is!

Ed. NOte:  See Lepidoptera Pro where it is listed under the synonym Epimolis incarnata.  That name turns up some images on Papillons et Insectes du Monde and FlickR.

Location: Sarapiqui, Costa Rica

2 Responses to Tiger Moth from Costa Rica

1. Chris says:

I believe I found another picture of this creature at this link, although the abomen’s colors make it questionable

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTH244T6JSg6jzb9ZdbsEfjZg1wly_cA-m8JKuvjX9zixLYF3Dp