Subject: Beetle
Location: Minnesota
Hello bugman,
These images were taken on 5.18.2011 in Minnesota, east of Minneapolis about 20 miles, and although the image quality isn’t very good, I was hoping to learn what it is. It was rather large, perhaps 3 inches. It’s hard to see but on the side view image it looks as though there’s a good size hole in the abdomen, but that could just be an illusion because of the angle and poor image quality. At first I thought it was an Odonata excuviea but ruled it out. Then I thought it might be a click beetle, but I don’t think it is.
I looked on Bug Guide, but wasn’t able to ID this bug. So, I hoping you may be ab;e to shed some light on this ugly, but fascinating little bug
Signature: Laura

Brown and Gold Rove Beetle

Possibly Brown and Gold Rove Beetle

Dear Laura,
Even though you were unable to properly identify this Rove Beetle, we are impressed that you recognized it as a beetle as Rove Beetles do not resemble most beetles as they lack hard elytra.  It looks similar to 
Platydracus maculosus which is pictured on BugGuide, but we would not entirely discount that it might be a Brown and Gold Rove Beetle, Ontholestes cingulatus, which is also pictured on BugGuide.  Rove Beetles are a large family and your individual might be in an entirely different genusSince your image is several years old, this is not a timely or seasonal posting.  We are preparing several posts to go live while we are away from the office in early January, so you will be able to find this posting on our site in the coming week.

Brown and Gold Rove Beetle

Possibly Brown and Gold Rove Beetle

Thank you so much for your speedy reply and information. I don’t often see beetles of any kind and certainly not as large as this, at least not alive!
Thanks again, Bugman!
Laura from Mound Mn

Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota