Subject: Spotted Tree Borer ?
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
January 5, 2015 9:06 am
Hi there,
One of our commercial office tenants imported a table from British Columbia, and found themselves with a little infestation (not initially connected with the table itself). We confirmed sawdust and holes underneath the table and found 4-5 of these little buggers.
A local authority came out and told us they might be Asian Long Horn beetles (which were apparently eradicated as an invasive species in Canada in 2007) and took some away, but my advanced Google skills say it might be a Spotted Tree Borer, native to BC. Can you confirm? If it helps, the table was from a Japanese plum tree, although I can’t confirm if it was grown in BC or imported.
Thanks !
Signature: – Kevin B. Hall

Longicorn

Longicorn

Dear Kevin,
This is a Longicorn or Longhorned Borer in the family Cerambycidae, but we are not certain of the species.  We are posting your image and we hope one of our readers can provide an identification while we are away from the office for a spell.
  It is NOT the Asian Longhorn.  Can you please provide us with a scientific name for the Spotted Tree Borer?

I’m not a bug guy but the reference I find repeated on the internet is Synaphaeta guexi.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency actually took our critters and send them to Ottawa for identification. They called my operator back but I think they just confirmed it was not the Asian Long Horn and was not considered invasive, without telling us what it actually was.
Thanks for the response !
Kevin B. Hall

Hi David,
A beetle expert named Mardikavana indeed identified your Longhorn as
Synaphaeta guexi.  We apologize for the delay, but we were away from the office for a week.

Update:  January 17, 2015
Thanks to a comment from Mardikavava, we believe this is
Synaphaeta quexiSee BugGuide.

Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

2 Responses to Unknown Longicorn from Canada is Synaphaeta quexi

1. Ando Vaan (aka Mardikavana) says:

Most likely Synaphaeta quexi. http://bugguide.net/node/view/895996/bgimage

Thanks Markikavana. We have been out of the office for a week and we are just catching up on comments and submissions.