Subject: Indonesian moth
Location: Indonesia
January 4, 2015 11:12 am
This pretty moth was in our bathroom at Wakatobi Dive Resort, on a small island off of Tomia (or Tomea), which is a slightly larger island off of southeast Sulawesi in Indonesia, in late December. Thanks for the help!
Signature: L. Sanford

Heliotrope Moth

Heliotrope Moth

Dear L. Sanford,
This diurnal Tiger Moth is a Heliotrope Moth,
Utetheisa pulchelloides, which we identified on this blog from Indonesia.  The same species is called a Crimson Speckled Footman on the Cook Islands Biodiversity site.  A very similar looking moth is identified as Utetheisa lotrix on The Papua Insects Foundation site.

Thanks for the id! That is exactly the moth I saw. One question though: I sent in two id requests at about the same time, and you replied to my second request with the id of the moth in the first. Were you able to check on the second moth? I totally understand if you don’t have the time or resources for the second, I just wondered if there was a mix-up and you missed my second picture. (Next time I will send both requests in the same message to avoid the confusion.)
Thanks again for your help!
Lindsay

Hi Lindsay,
You should limit submissions to a single species.  I have not had time to look at the second moth.  Also, you did not initiate with a new form, hence stacking the two requests together.

Location: Indonesia