Subject: White bug in room?
Location: Wooden bedside table in room
January 2, 2015 7:05 am
Hello, I recently have been seeing these small, long white bugs all over my bed side table, I have a fish tank on it that they hide under, there are big and small ones all over it only at night, can you tell me what they are?
Signature: From Erin

Springtail

Springtail

Dear Erin,
The location field on our submission form should be used to specify the country, state or city where the sighting occurred as that is often a tremendous assistance in identifications.  This appears to be a Springtail, a primitive hexapod in the class Collembola, and they are frequently found in damp dark locations where they feed on fungus, mold and similar growths.  Water splashed from your aquarium is probably contributing to a habitable environment for the Springtails.  Though they can be a nuisance when they are plentiful, Springtails are considered to be benign or beneficial depending upon where they are found.