Subject: Mystery bug in Costa Ruca
Location: La Fortuna, Lake Arenal, Costa Rica
I photographed this beauty on an airconditioner drain pipe on the outside of our rental house in El Castillo, near La Fortuna, Costa Rica yesterday. It was about 5 inches long.
Signature: Peter Lewis

Camouflaged Insect:  Phasmid or Orthopteran???

Camouflaged Insect: Phasmid or Orthopteran???

Dear Peter,
This critter seems to have characteristics of several different orders.  Our best guesses are an Orthopteran or a Phasmid.  We have solicited the opinions of several entomologists, including Piotr Naskrecki and Julian Donahue and we hope to have something more specific for you soon.

Piotr Naskrecki Responds
This is a phasmid Prisopus sp. There are several similar species in Costa Rica, hard to say from the photo which one this is. These phasmids have strong chemical defenses and are quite smelly.
Cheers,
Piotr

Julian Donahue Responds
Interesting critter–I think I’ve actually seen and/or collected them in the tropics.
This appears to be another member of Prisopus in the phasmid family Prisopodidae, representatives of which you have already posted on What’s That Bug? (image showed up in a Google image search!).
See image at: http://entombase.com/entomology/taxa/phasmatodea/index.html
Julian

Thanks Julian and Piotr for identifying this Phasmid in the genus Prisopus.  We thought it looked familiar, but we searched our archives under Costa Rica and not Brazil.

Thank, Daniel, for identifying my bug for me! Time to google phasmids…
Best,
Peter