Subject: Help – Bug in appartment
Location: Philly
Recently, we keep finding these bugs in our apartment around 1-5am (once a week).
These things are very fast but I finally managed to catch of of them alive.
Signature: Jon

Brownbanded Cockroach

Brownbanded Cockroach

Dear Jon,
We believe we have correctly identified your Cockroach as a Brownbanded Cockroach,
Supella longipalpa, based on this image posted to BugGuide.  According to the Penn State Entomology site:  “Brownbanded cockroaches prefer warm and dry locations, such as near refrigerator motor housings, on the upper walls of cabinets, and inside pantries, closets, dressers, and furniture in general. They can also be found behind picture frames and beneath tables and chairs, and inside clocks, radios, light switch plates, doorframes, and dressers. It is common to find them hiding nearer the ceiling than the floor and away from water sources. Accurate identification is paramount to controlling brownbanded cockroaches. Control strategies for other cockroaches will not be efficacious for brownbanded cockroaches.”

Thanks Daniel, that looks so right.
I’ve contacted the apartment manager to send in an exterminator and have a look at it,
Happy holidays!
Jon

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

One Response to Brown Banded Cockroach

1. Dear Jon,
    I wanted to know if the Brown Banded cockroaches bite. I found roaches on my bed. The exterminator came and exterminated my kitchen and bathroom. That’s where I found them the most. After that they started coming in my room, on the furniture, on the floor and on the bed. I’ve noticed raised round red bumps on my hand, leg and arm. I called the exterminator to make sure it’s not bedbugs, But I wanted to know if roaches bite.