Subject: Blue planar spidernet chile
Location: Osorno, Chile
December 18, 2014 2:30 am
Hallo bugman,
can you identify the spider which produced this
horizontally spanned blue chaotic net near the Osorno in Chile in December?
Unfortunately, the spider was absent.
Greetings
Signature: Joachim

Unknown Spider Web

Unknown Spider Web

Dear Joachim,
Thanks so much for sending a higher resolution image.  We have not been able to determine the identity of the spider that created this web, but we are posting the image and many times our readers write in to contribute to the identification process.  Hopefully we will be able to provide you with an identification in the future.
  Can you provide us with any additional information.  Was it near a body of water.  We seem to have a recollection of horizontal webs near streams, but we are still attempting to locate those sources.

Location: Osorno, Chile

3 Responses to Blue Spider Web from Chile

1. Brenda Comolli says:

I also have a similar photo taken in Feb 2015 @ Lahuen Nadi (Republica de Chile Monumento Natural) – on the ‘eco-walk’ the guide did identify the spider, unfortunately I did not write it down.

2. Bex says:

thaida austrochilidae??

If you are able to send a link to the reason you suspect this small family and obscure genus, it would be greatly appreciated.