Subject: Large grey moth
Location: Gawler, SA
I found this large grey moth sitting on the platform of a train station near Adelaide. I thought it was the giant wood moth but according to what I read this does not occur in South Australia?
Signature: Anne-Marie

Giant Wood Moth we presume

Giant Wood Moth we presume

Dear Anne-Marie,
We agree that this appears to be a Giant Wood Moth,
Endoxyla cinereus, based on images posted to Butterfly House where it states:  “The adult moths have a variable vague pattern of light and dark grey or brown on the wings, including a darker spot near the middle of each forewing. The forewings each have a sinusoidal inner margin, and the hindwings a convex inner margin. The moths are very large. The females are larger than the males, and have a wingspan up to 23 cms.  The species occurs over Queensland and New South Wales.”  The map on Csiro supports that range information, and states “Not verified” regarding South Australia sightings.  Perhaps global warming and other climate changes are resulting in a natural range expansion.  It is also possible that this might be another member of the genus that has a greater range.  We are curious if our readership has an opinion on this matter.

Thank you for your reply. I am also curious whether your readers will be able to shed some light on the issue. In any case I felt privileged to have been able to see it, as it was the largest moth I have ever seen!
Thanks, Anne-Marie

Location: Gawler, South Australia