Subject: identification of 2 caterpillars.

Location: Bangalore , Karnataka, INDIA
December 12, 2014 2:11 am
Dear sir,
I like to photograph nature ,in particular flora fauna around our campus,making it useful for our Bioscience faculty to use it for teaching the students in an excited way.
While doing so i came across 2 caterpillars with strange textures:
1. one had a greyish blue texture with ‘eye like’ spots at regular intervals running right from its snout like mouth till its tail in two parallel lines on the top of its body.
The mouth underneath revealed tooth like structures.This was revealed when it wanted to sense its way forward with its front end extended like a snout of a mouse. It also had a stinger at the end ,but more like a tail.
The area in which it was discovered had bushes of cactii,Aster flowers,Pine tree plants and the general wlid growth of weeds.
2.Second one i will upload in my next mail.
One important thing – These pictures from India – I hope you will be able to accommodate and identify. I am mentioning this because the 2/3 sites where I tried ,INDIA is not on the list of areas to be covered.
Kindly let me know.It will excite the Boys!!
Thanking you.
Signature: Nanda Gopal

Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Dear Nanda,
This is a Hornworm, and we believe it might be the Caterpillar of the Chitral Elephant Hawkmoth, Deilephila rivularis, or a closely related species in the genus.  Our first clue is this posting of the Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar on Totally Nailed It, which led us to a nice matching caterpillar image on Sphingidae of the Western Palaearctic.  Also on the Sphingidae of the Western Palaearctic site, Caterpillars of  Deilephila elpenor look nearly identical.

Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Thank you so much for responding and thank you also for the wealth of
information you have supplied along with it.
I also have a small video clip of the movement of the Elephant
Hawkmoth Caterpillar.If it is of importance i can upload it.But
then,how do i do it.?
Please guide.
Thank you once again.

Thanks for the video offer Nanda, but we are not currently featuring videos on our site.  Our tiny staff resizes, crops and formats all imagery for the site, hopefully improving the quality of the images sent to us, and we do not have the time to “edit” video footage.

Location: Bangalore, India