Subject: Phasmids for ID (2 species)
Location: Patyay, Mayoyao, Ifugao Province, Philippines
Greetings in peace!
During my last two travels to the remotes of Ifugao Province, north of Luzon, Philippines, I encountered these phasmid creatures which fascinates me, My recollection of past encounters were all shades of brown and gentle creatures. As to these new finds, these were of bright colored that defies the common characteristic of a camouflaged stick and seems more aggressive as it spew out some kind of a pungent odor to deter invaders unlike the tame brown.
Last October 6, 2014, I managed to capture these creatures by few frames. the red winged somehow secretes the foul smell but the greenish haven’t observe the same for I didn’t handled it closely to me. Furthermore, the red winged were considered by the local folks as pest in their ricefields as they masticate the young leaves of rice.
I hope we can ID these stick for proper recognition.
Thank you!
Signature: Kdon

Walkingstick

Walkingstick:  Orthomeria species

Dear Kdon,
The black Walkingstick with the red wings appears to be the same species of Walkingsticks we posted in 2011 when there was a major outbreak.  That species has still not been identified.  We are posting your images and we will attempt to do some research later today when we have more time.

Walkingstick

Walkingstick:  Ophicrania species

Walkingstick

Walkingstick:  Ophicrania species

I highly appreciate your prompt response. last week, i had a ID suggestion from Project Noah
for the black and red stick :
as Genus name Orthomeria sp.. Adult female confirmed by Bruno Kneubühler. Bruno,
&
For the greenish with multi color abdomen:
Ophicrania sp. is confirmed by Bruno Kneubühler. But it might be another species than viridinervis. So, I suggest we go either with Ophicrania sp. or Ophocrania cf. viridinervis.
These were their suggestions, we might as well utilize it as starting point to pin the proper Id.
Kdon

Thanks for the update Kdon.  We found Orthomeria pictured on Phasmatodea.com where it states:  ” This is a totally NEW species i found 3 weeks ago in the north west of luzon and this eggs offer is the very first time ever.”  Other images can be found on Strasilky-Phasmatodea.  A member of the genus Ophicrania is pictured on Phasma Werkgroep.

Location: Patyay, Mayoyao, Ifugao Province, PHilippines