Subject: Beetle in Sierra Leone
Location: Sierra Leone
Bugman,
I am out in Sierra Leone, living in Freetown at the moment and came across this beautiful beetle. My son Ethan would be over the moon if we can identify it.
Signature: C

Scarab Beetle

Scarab Beetle:  Pachnoda marginata

Subject: Beetle in Sierra Leone
Location: Sierra Leone
I continue my insect hunt in Sierra Leone and would appreciate some help with identifying this bug

Scarab Beetle

Scarab Beetle:  Pachnoda chordata

Dear C,
Both of these are beautiful Scarab Beetles.  We believe we have identified the first as
Pachnoda marginata by matching your image to images on Shutterstock and Pinterest where it is called a Sunspot Beetle.  We also found it pictured on Bug Nation and our research shows much variation in the markings, so seeing a comparison of various subspecies on Beetlespace may prove interesting to you.  We believe your subspecies is Pachnoda marginata marginata and it is also pictured on BioLib where it is called a Sun BeetleBioLib lists the countries where this subspecies has been sighted as:  “Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone.”   We believe your second Scarab is Pachnoda chordata based on an image we located on FlickeR and then continued to research, eventually locating images on SAReptiles and BioLib where the country of origin is listed as Sierra Leone.  We also believe your subspecies is Pachnoda chordata chordata and BioLib expands the list of countries of the entire species as “Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Senegal, Sierra Leone.”  If our research is correct, both of your beetles are in the same genus.

Location: Sierra Leone

2 Responses to Two Beautiful Scarabs from Sierra Leone

1. Very nice images. Both of these species are edible, and are consumed in one or more Western African countries.