Subject: What’s this bug
Location: Melbourne victoria Australia
December 4, 2014 3:22 am
Hi there bug man we caught this bug today and have never ever seen anything like it we live in victoria Australia it is summer time here this bug makes an extreme loud buzzing noise I’ve tried doing a Google image search and I’ve found nothing it kinda looks crossed between a few things hopefully you can shed some light on what it is thanks for your time bug man or ladyb 😉
Regards dumb founded buggers
Signature: Beck Shawn and the 3 kids

Robber Fly, we presume

Robber Fly, we presume

Dear Beck Shawn and the 3 kids,
We cannot imagine that this is anything other than a Robber Fly in the family Asilidae.  This individual looks like the same species as this previous posting of a Robber Fly from Melbourne submitted in December 2012.  It is not uncommon to have seasonal sightings of species of insects as most live no more than a few weeks as adults.  Robber Flies are top of the insect food chain predators that can take other predators, including Yellowjackets and other Wasps, on the wing.  Like other flies, Robber Flies have a single pair of wings, yet having one pair less than most insects seems to have improved rather than to have inhibited their ability to fly.
  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to assist in this identification.

Update:  December 20, 2014
We just received a comment that this is Neoaratus hercules, a large Robber Fly
It is pictured on the Atlas of Living Australia and on Insect Net it is called a Hercules Robber Fly.

Location: Melbourne, Australia

One Response to Robber Fly from Australia

1. Drhoz says:

Neoaratus hercules, one of Australia’s largest Asilids. Note the curious structures on his wings, of apparently unknown function.