Subject: what’s that wasp?

Location: Oldbury, Western Australia
December 5, 2014 1:53 am
Hi again,
I took this pic of a wasp the other day on my property near Perth Western Australia and have been unable to make a positive identification. The T shaped marking on it’s thorax and the black and orange head markings are what have me perplexed. If you have time maybe you can help me. I do like to establish a positive ID on my photographic subjects.
Best regards,
Signature: Jill

Mason Wasp, we believe

Potter Wasp

Dear Jill,
Your impressive wasp resembles a Potter Wasp or Mason Wasp in the subfamily Eumeninae, and it does bear a similarity to a species pictured on the Brisbane Insect Site that is identified as a Mason Wasp,
Abispa ephippium.  We believe your wasp may be a close relative as the markings are similar, but distinctly different.

Possibly Mason Wasp

Potter Wasp

Thanks for you help once again.
When I first saw the wasp my immediate assumption was that it was a Potter Wasp or Mason Wasp. It was just those markings that had me confused, when I tried to confirm my assumption, as I couldn’t find any wasp, pictured or described, on the net with the same markings.
However I have since read there are many different species of Eumeninae, although the thorax marking of the Mason Wasp normally seems to be described and pictured with a distinct triangular black marking.  I think I will have to put it down to being a Mason Wasp as you suggest.  If I ever find do happen to find out it is something else, I will let you know.
Btw… Do you know the number of Bugs Anonymous?…. I think I have a problem.  I dreamt about this wasp last night. lol.  I was dreaming I was back at the spot where I photographed it, trying to get a better picture of it’s abdomen!
True! : ))
Until next time… happy bug watching!
Best regards,
Jill

Update
Hi again Daniel,
Today I sent the query of the T marked wasp to the Perth, Western Australia, Museum Entomology Dept and they say it is a Potter Wasp
Potter Wasp (Abispa ephippium)
So we can all sleep easy tonight. ; )
Thanks again for your help.
Best regards,
Jill

Hi Jill,
Thanks for confirming that the wasp you captured in images is a well documented species that usually has an entirely black thorax.

Location: Oldbury, Western Australia