Subject: Funny looking catterpilar
Location: Randfontein South Africa
November 29, 2014 6:04 am
Hi I just found this guy under attack by a bunch of ants, saved it and placed it on a strawberry leaf to photograph. (Don’t think that is the diet of this caterpillar)
The closest pic I could find on the net is of the one eyed sphinx moth from Alaska. This however is in Randfontein South Africa. Any ideas?
Kind regards
Vic
Signature: Vic Mouton

Probably Nymphalidae Caterpillar

Moth Caterpillar

Dear Vic,
Though it has a caudal horn, we do not believe this is a Hornworm.  We believe this is a Butterfly Caterpillar, not a moth caterpillar, and we believe it is in the Brush Footed Butterfly Nymphalidae.  We have not had any luck finding any matching images online, and we have contacted butterfly caterpillar specialist Keith Wolfe to see if he can identify your caterpillar.

Probably Nymphalidae Caterpillar

Moth Caterpillar

Correction Courtesy of Keith Wolfe
Hi Daniel; I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  This is definitely not a nymphalid (butterfly) larva of any sort, but rather an immature moth.  Sorry to be of limited help.
Best wishes,
Keith

Location: Fandfontein, South Africa

2 Responses to Moth Caterpillar from South Africa

1. Bostjan Dvorak says:

Very interesting caterpillar; I think it is a younger specimen of a hawkmoth species from the Smerinthinae subfamily.

Best wishes,
    Bostjan Dvorak