Subject: Lovely green bug crawled out of my salad!
Location: Bronx, NY
Hi! I found this guy on my salad plate on Thanksgiving. It was an Earthboubd Farms arugula salad. My hostess assured me the greens had come right out of the box. We are in the Bronx & I don’t want to put him outside for fear of the cold. I placed him on a houseplant & he relocated himself to a sweet potato that he was reluctant to leave. What is he??
Signature: Priscilla

Say's Stink Bug

Say’s Stink Bug

Dear Priscilla,
This Stink Bug looks like a Say’s Stink Bug,
Chlorochroa sayi, a species that is found, according to BugGuide, west of the Mississippi River.  We could not find Earthboubd Farms, but seeing as the n is next to the b on the keyboard, we are assuming you made a typographical error and are referring to an organic farm in California known for packaged, prewashed greens.  This should be a lesson to all folks who buy prewashed greens that it doesn’t hurt to do a quick once over to ensure there is no unwanted protein in the salad. 

Location: Bronx, New York

6 Responses to Say’s Stink Bug crawls out of organic salad on Thanksgiving

1. Haha, I’ve found live green stink bugs and a Carabidae beetle once in boxes of organic lettuce and spinach. I can confirm firsthand (though it was not intentional) that ground beetles taste as bad or worse than they smell. . .

2. Of all the bugs it could have been, lol.

3. Ewww. This page is like a train wreck. I can’t stop reading even though I’m cringing.

4. Nothing screams ORGANIC like an insect infestation! Heh heh!

5. Gwendolyn says:

This same little guy was walking the edge of my salad bowl. Though I prefer bugs to chemicals when it comes to my foods, I kinda lost my appetite…