Subject: australian beetle or bug
Location: Maryborough, Queensland, Australia
November 18, 2014 4:03 am
Dear Bugman
I don’t even know if this site is still running or tended regularly, so I will just send this and hope for the best.
I live in Australia, the land of Poisonous Things. I am wary of anything that looks like it might bite me, and this insect has me horrified.
It can fly. It reminds me of a weevil, but bigger – almost as long as an adults thumb. Hard, dark brown, shiny shell with thick legs and antenna. Long body.
And the most awful looking pincer type arrangement at the head.
It looked awful and I had my husband remove it from the house. I have never seen anything quite like it – can you help?
I have attached the clearest picture I could take without getting too close!
Signature: Warm regards, Carly Philp

Possibly Acacia Longicorn

Possibly Acacia Longicorn

Dear Carly,
This is a Longhorned Borer or Longicorn in the subfamily Prioninae, and we believe, based on images posted to BushCraftOz that it might be an Acacia Longicorn,
Eurynassa australis.  According to BushCraftOz :  “Found under eucalypt bark, with head protruding. Larvae live in dead wood of acacia species. Large beetle ~40 mm.”  Beetles in the family Cerambycidae have powerful mandibles, and large individuals, like the one you found, might deliver a painful bite if carelessly handled, and the bite might even draw blood.  Though a nip might be painful, it is not dangerous as the Longicorns are not venomous.

Hi Daniel
Thank you for the information. I just couldn’t find any details on a native species with such big pincers!
I really appreciate your email, and the time to look into it for me.
Cheers
Carly