Subject: Confirm ID of beetle
Location: Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge, TX
November 19, 2014 11:45 am
Recently my wife and I were at the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge in Texas photographing the waterfowl. This beetle which I am gussing is the Long Jawed Longhorn Beetle landed on our windshield and I took the picture from inside of our car with my iPhone. I didn’t get to see his top view, but this really shows a long jaw. Can you confirm his ID.
You may use the picture any way you like, but please mention my name as the photographer.
Signature: Joseph A. Sinka

Scorpionfly

Scorpionfly

Dear Joseph,
This impressive insect is not a beetle, but rather a Scorpionfly in the order Mecoptera and most likely in the genus
Panorpa.  According to BugGuide:  “Adults feed mainly on dead/dying insects, rarely on nectar/fruit.”

Thanks, I don’t think I could have ever identified him as a Scorpionfly.  I just looked it up in my field guide and the size of the one I saw was somewhere between 1″ to 1-1/2″ long; much larger than the 3/8″ mentioned in the guide.
I don’t know how common they are, but this is a first for me.
Thanks for your help and I plan to go back again this weekend,
Joe

Location: Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge, Texas