Subject: Dragonfly Love
Location: Taggery, North East Victoria, Australia
November 18, 2014 2:31 am
Just thought you might be interested in theres, i think they ate egg laying?
Signature: Cait O’Pray

Bluets Mating

Damselflies Mating

Dear Cait,
These are Damselflies, not Dragonflies, but your mistake is understandable because they are classified in the same insect order, Odonata.  When we have more time, we will try to identify the species on the Brisbane Insect website.  They are in fact mating and in the act of depositing eggs.

Thank you for the response, I’ll have to tell me parents what is living in their dam. They’ve let it go seminative so there are at least 5 types of frogs and so many more insects. I recently just bought the book advertised on the website and am starting to read it. It’s all very fascinating!

Location: Taggery, Victor, Austalia

5 Responses to Mating Damselflies

1. As it happens, Cait is correct: the female (the browner individual in the left of the photo) is probably egg-laying. Mating has already occurred, but the male is retaining a hold on the female until laying is complete so that he can prevent other males from mating with her.

There are quite a number of damselflies with this blue and black colour pattern, making identification a bit of a challenge. Looking through my copy of the Field Guide to Dragonflies of Australia, I think a likely candidate for the individuals in the photo is the eastern billabongfly Austroagrion watsoni, which is found over a large part of Australia and New Caledonia.

2. Cait O'Pray says:

Thanks Christopher, that’s exactly what they look like.

Doing a bit more research they have the bar across their eyes and black dots on the blue of the end of their tails making it more likely they are the billabongfly rather then the common bluetail and blue riverdamsel. I have a ton of photos of them now. Found out today that the damselfly nymph eat mosquito larvae so they are very very very welcome in the dam!

3. This is my photo, i apologise for the horrid spelling, i think i submitted this at some early hour of the morning lol. Very happy to have damselflies in the dam as they’ll keep the mosquito population down for us.

4. All your work is done on a volunteer basis. I was happy with a quick answer as to what they were. I would have been looking through dragonfly species for ages before I thought about damselfly 🙂