Subject: Black beetle with 8 white dots

Location: Cape Town South Africa
November 15, 2014 7:03 am
Hi There
I hope you can help me identify this beetle. I have searched but can’t find a pic of this particular one. I am from Cape Town South Africa and every year in November to December (summer season) this beetle visits and eats my roses. It climbs inside the rose buds and eats them. What beetle is this and what can I do to protect my roses from them. I do not believe in using pesticides.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks in advance.
Signature: Any

White Spotted Fruit Chafer

White Spotted Fruit Chafer

Dear Any,
We quickly identified your beetle as a White Spotted Fruit Chafer,
Mausoleopsis amabilis, on BioDiversity Explorer, and then we located additional images on iSpot.

Location: Cape Town, South Africa

8 Responses to White Spotted Fruit Chafer from South Africa

1. Rudolf says:

I spotted one just yesterday (30 Nov 2015) in my herb garden and was searching on the internet what beetle it is! I live in Bloemfontein all my live and have never seen one till now. Maybe one of my herbs attracted it.Thank you for this info! I figure that they are not a welcome gest in my herb garden?

2. Sonja says:

Hi – I’m also in Cape Town and I have many of these on my fruit trees, how do you get rid of them as organically as possible.

3. Yvonne says:

Yvonne.madelene@gmail.com
    Yes I also have a lot flying around an indigenous bush with purple flowers. I live in Bloubergstrand and now they’re invading the house. I’ve just left them alone as they are seasonal. Pity about your roses though. They don’t do much damage to my indigenous bush. Try sunlight liquid diluted in water in a spray bottle.

4. Emma says:

Something totally destroyed my Japanese maple and ate all the leaves leaving them holey. I found one of these beetles in the pot yesterday ☹️ I think I found the culprit.

5. Erik le Roux says:

I found a dead Fruit Chafer in my living room. I identified it by trying Black Beetle with white spots on google. However it is described as a black beetle with 8 white spots, but it has two more white spots underneath which amounts to 10. Am I correct ?