Subject: Night invasion of beetles
Location: maui, Hawaii
Aloha from Maui,
We’ve had intermittent rain this year and each time we get invaded by these peculiar beetles within a week. They are attracted to light and will make their way through our screens. Turning on the light outside reveals dozens on the screen. We haven’t been bit by them that we know. They are annoying and will land on us while watching TV.
I searched the internet and the closest identification might be “Triatomine nymphal instal” but I can’t be certain as the shape doesn’t seem exact.
They have 6 legs and can fly.
Any ideas?
With aloha,
Michelle
Signature: Michelle in Maui

Weevil

Weevil

Dear Michelle,
This is not a Blood Sucking Conenose Bug, also known as a Kissing Bug in the genus
Triatoma, that you can read about on the Kiss of Death page, but rather a Weevil, a member of the family Curculionidae, that is well represented on BugGuide.  You do not need to worry about getting bitten by a Weevil.  Many Weevils are agricultural pests and they can proliferate in areas where their food plant is commercially grown.

Weevil

Weevil

Aloha Daniel,
What a relief! I didn’t think they were Blood-Sucking Conenose bugs but they do look a little like it. Being that they haven’t bitten us I had my doubts.
Funny that a common weevil inundates us each year after rains. Last night it was breezy with rain and we had minimal invasion. Perhaps they can’t fly in the rain?
Either way, thank you so much for the identification and the link to Bug Guide. It was a very interesting read!
With aloha,
Michelle

Location: Maui, Hawaii

2 Responses to Weevils Invade Hawaii at Night

1. Thank you for the identification and the hint as to why we have so many of these. Monsanto is growing nearby and perhaps their GMO seeds have not yet annihilated this weevil…or maybe could they have caused the influx?