Subject: little green beetle
Location: Washington state
Hi!
I’ve been wondering what this beetle is for a while. I live in Washington state, and both photos were taken at the beach in the summer, and both times I spotted the bug on driftwood near the water. I’ve done a few searches to try to find this bug but I cant find a match. At first I though it was an emerald ash borer, which look similar but are definitely not my bug. I hope someone here can help identify my mystery crawly!
Signature: random gal

Golden Buprestid

Golden Buprestid

Dear Random Gal,
When you mistook this beetle for an Emerald Ash Borer, you at least had the correct family Buprestidae, the Metallic Borer Beetles.  We are pretty certain that these are Golden Buprestids,
Buprestis aurulenta, or a very closely related species, and you can compare your images to those on BugGuide.

Golden Buprestid

Golden Buprestid

Location: Washington

5 Responses to Golden Buprestids

1. random gal says:

Yay, now I know who my crawly friend is! Thanks, guys!

2. theeastwind says:

Just found a beauty in Corvallis!

3. Danielle says:

We just found a golden colored beetle in Chesterland, Ohio

4. MP says:

Thanks for your photos and ID! When I turned a dead one onto its back, it was all copper-colored! Does that sound right? This was in rural forested Amity, Oregon!