Subject: Conenose Nymph
Location: San Diego, CA
Hello! Well, I am fairly certain what you see in the picture is a ConeNose Nymph that was found on my daughter’s mattress today in San Diego. Is it possible for you to approximate the age of the nymph?
Here’s a little background: My family returned to our home in San Diego from a mini-vacation in Disneyland 3 weeks ago and the morning after returning my wife found and killed a large fully grown Conenose bug filled with blood on my 4 year old daughter’s pillow. I was able to identify the bug pretty quickly by just googling blood sucking insects in Southern California (never heard of this bug before). We have subsequently killed 3 very small conenose bugs on my daughter’s mattress (all containing blood) and my daughter has at least 3 bites with swelling and redness. We called our pest control service yesterday and they came out and sprayed my daughter’s room, but we found the one pictured on her mattress this morning alive.
Out of extreme precaution, I took her fairly new mattress and box springs to the dump this morning and my daughter has been sleeping in my son’s room for the last couple nights. I’m hoping you can determine the age and possibly provide information on whether it is possible the eggs hatched in the mattress or box spring.
Seeing news stories pop-up today at the same time this is happening to us in regards to the “kissing bug” and Chagas disease has us quite concerned.
Thank you for any information you can provide!
Signature: Robert

Immature Blood Sucking Conenose Bug

Immature Blood Sucking Conenose Bug

Dear Robert,
We concur with your identification.  This appears to be a very young Blood Sucking Conenose Bug or Kissing Bug in the genus
Triatoma.  We suspect it was recently hatched.  There is only one image on BugGuide of an individual that looks similar, though most likely in a later instar or developmental stage.  Based on the information you have provided, we would speculate that this youngster is the offspring of the adult yu found several weeks ago.

Immature Kissing Bug

Immature Kissing Bug

Location: San Diego, California

2 Responses to Blood Sucking Conenose Bug Nymph

1. looks like a cross between a bedbug and kissing bug….

2. Ray Aldrete says:

It’s not a bed bug.. this is a kissing bug it’s bite last several weeks longer in appearance then the bed bug. The kissing bug is of a light color and it’s bite like a bed bugs at first signs of swelling will show.. but within time the bite looks as a flea bite and/or pimple that has not come to a head.
    These bugs are essentially killed by isolation of the infected or host living areas. Then removing one section at a time of infested areas of cloth bedding material that are made of cloth and bagging. Poison after infested area is clean and leave cloth in bag that is tied off.. x y kicks is a good poison