Subject: Orange Spider

Location: Columbus, Ohio
This peculiar spider was hanging on my backdoor frame so I captured it. What kind of spider is this and is it poisonous?
Signature: LL

Pumpkin Spider

Pumpkin Spider

Dear LL,
Your image and identification request  of a Pumpkin Spider,
Araneus marmoreus, is perfectly timed for a Halloween posting.  This bright orange color variation is one possibility for the highly variable Marbled Orbweaver and the orange coloration, that is usually evident in the fall during pumpkin season is the reason it is sometimes called a Pumpkin Spider.  Like most other spiders, the Pumpkin Spider has venom, but it is not considered dangerous to humans and they rarely bite.  The entire family of Orbweavers that includes the Pumpkin Spider is considered harmless.

Location: Columbus, Ohio

6 Responses to Pumpkin Spider

1. Lucky omen! I think they are beautiful and oh so shy! You just gently breathe on one and it curls all up, all a-scared, in the hopes you will just leave them alone. I dig those kinds of spiders. The ones that come running at you though, all wicked fast like, maybe because they just can’t see and don’t know where the heck they are going? I don’t like those guys so much. 😀

2. I like these spiders but didn’t find any in the garden or around the outside of the house this year. In fact, no orb weavers at all!

3. Found one in southern New Jersey a week ago.

4. I’m in Columbus, too. Better go check my back door for orange orb weavers!