Subject: “Scorpion Spider ?”
Location: Northcliff / Cresta / Fairland
October 27, 2014 8:32 am
Found it in upstairs bedroom in Fairland close to the N1 & 14th Ave
Signature: Tommy Steyn

Scorpion Spider

Scorpion Spider

Dear Tommy,
Thanks for sending your wonderful images of a Scorpion Spider in the genus Platyoides.  Our first posting on a Scorpion Spider in 2010 resulted in a robust comment exchange, but alas, there is not much information online regarding the bite of a Scorpion Spider, which leads us to speculate that the bites are not dangerous.

Scorpion Spider

Scorpion Spider

Location: Northcliff, Cresta, Fairland, South Africa

18 Responses to Scorpion Spider from South Africa

1. Pam says:

Have found two in George,South Africa 27/12/2014……yuk

2. Izzy says:

I found a spider behind my friends bed we were busy ,at first didnt know what it was have seen many kinds never this species, till today saw the same type in our washing basin. Got such a fright opened the tap and down it went felt abit bad tho but im terrified of spiders close up. Wasnt half an hour later there it was again so apparently they dont mind water. Took a photo this time and searched on google looks like a scorpion spider. Now I know

3. Ernie van Biljon says:

Found one in our bathroom this morning. It is quite tiny, but fast when disturbed and seems to look for the nearest retreat – that could possibly be interpreted as being agressive.
    We live in Rand Park Ext.2

4. Found a scorpion spider on the floor in our bedroom last night. 2 December 2015 in Chancliff Krugersdorp. First thought was that it is a scorpion. Have never seen such a spider. It moved very slow.

5. Conrad says:

My wife found a scorpion spider today, 8 December 2015. We are on the West Rand, Johannesburg, South Africa. It appears to have entered the kitchen from underneath the back door (needless to say, that was the same way it went out!). The only way we could id the spider was from my wife’s description of it looking like a scorpion! The name was a clear description in this instance. Would’ve like to have had more info on this species though.

6. Pam Cartwright says:

I foinf one of these on my shoulder. Eeek. Captured it and inspected it. Looks just like the scorpion spider. Port Elizabeth – January 2016

7. katy says:

i just found one on my neck. Looks just like this one. nelspruit 09/03/2016

8. Clint says:

Hi. Found a scorpion spider in our bathroom basin in Benoni. Never seen one before, looks pretty dangerous. 28/03/16

• monique says:

Jigg we stay in Benoni aswell and just discovered pne underneath my dog’s pillow. Didnt want take achance as i have small children and animals in the house. No one can say if poisonous…

9. Natasha says:

Bethlehem 05.04.2016 – Found one while getting kiddies schoolwork books. Scary part is my children usually do it. I freaked out, it wasn’t that fast. I went for a bottle and then I couldn’t find it. Can’t seem to find information on whether its venomous or not. Need to know children are 4 and 1.5…

10. Daniel says:

Hi I just found one of these outside by our tap, but it only had 6 legs? Any ideas?

11. Jolene says:

Hi
    I found one on my bed last night at around 8 pm, Springs Gauteng

12. Taryn says:

Just found a really big one, about 7cm or more on my curtain railing. Needless to say I flew out of my bedroom. Hubby killed it. Have seen about 10 of them at work in the last week alone.
    Springs. 6/11/2016

13. rolland mack says:

One just bit my sister. Should we be concerned

14. Lynda says:

Found one by our front door last night..also thought it was a scorpion at first. I live in Lonehill

15. Lambert says:

One just fell off my dog while I picked her up. I have seen a lot of them while packing wood in my yard. Do you know if it is poisonous?