Subject: Maybe a Velvet Ant?
October 27, 2014 5:01 am
I found this strange little guy (or gal) in my back yard. Couldn’t figure out what it was even after exhaustive searching (Mainly me typing Furry Ant-Spider Hybrid into various image search engines and forums), hopefully you may recognize it. In terms of size, it looked to me to be about 1cm long. I took pictures from a couple angles, it is a remarkable looking little thing, would love to know what it is! Thanks!!
Signature: Ace

Furry Bycid might be Lophopogonius crinitus

Furry Bycid is Ipochus fasciatus

Hi Ace,
This is a Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae, not a Velvet Ant.  The furry covering is quite unusual for the family, but we did post a similarly hairy Bycid from Puerto Rico in January from the genus
Ecyrus.  We searched the genus Ecyrus on BugGuide and found only representatives in Eastern North America, but we expanded the search to include other members of the tribe Pogonocherini and that led to a single mounted specimen of  Lophopogonius crinitus that is pictured on BugGuide.  We also located images of mounted specimens on A Photographic Catalog of the Cerambycidae of the World.  There is not much information on this species online.  We have contacted Eric Eaton to get a second opinion of the identification.  Are you able to provide us with a county or city location?

Possibly Lophopogonius crinitus

Ipochus fasciatus

Eric Eaton Responds
Close.  Sort of.  Ipochus fasciatus:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/125447
Nice images considering how tiny.

Thank you so much! It feels so good to finally know what it is hahaha! The location is Santa Cruz, right along the coast, if that helps add to info about it’s geographical spread. Thank you again so much!!

Location: Santa Cruz, California