Trapdoor Spider, we believe

Trapdoor Spider, we believe

Subject: Unidentified Kentucky Spider
Location: Louisville, Kentucky.
A friend and I found a spider that we can’t identify, we’ve lived in Louisville all our lives and are outdoorsman and we’ve never seen any spider like it before. It looks a lot bulkier than anything we’ve had around here, almost like a small tarantula but we can’t find anything similar to it anywhere online. We were thinking maybe someone let a bunch of infant tarantula’s loose from a pregnant pet after they hatched and we found one.
Signature: Regards, Stephen.

Hi Stephen,
We wish your image had more detail, because though we believe we have correctly identified your spider as a Trapdoor Spider in the genus
Antrodiaetus, we are not entirely certain.  Your individual looks very much like this individual posted to BugGuide that was found in Pennsylvania.  Along with Tarantulas, Trapdoor Spiders are classified in the Infraorder Mygalomorphae, the most primitive group of spiders.  Another, less likely possibility is a female Southern House Spider, also pictured on BugGuide,  which BugGuide describes as:  “Females are frequently mistaken for small tarantulas or trapdoor spiders. Males are often mistaken for recluse spiders (Loxosceles). This is a totally harmless species that builds “messy” webs emanating from crevices, often on the outside of homes.”

Location: Louisville, Kentucky

4 Responses to Trapdoor Spider

1. matthew says:

I found a spider just like this one in Louisville back in 2009 on the side of my mom’s house. It definitely looks like a trapdoor spider, but I didn’t know they even existed in KY. It is a very interesting spider to say the least. I kept mine for a while before it died. My kids loved watching it jump out of it’s burro to grab food. Great picture.

According to BugGuide, several families of Trapdoor Spiders range in Kentucky. Folding Door Spiders have been reported from surrounding states of Ohio, Indiana and Tennessee according to BugGuide, and Cork Lid Spiders have been reported from Kentucky on BugGuide.

2. mike says:

what a coincidence, spreading lime on a remote cemetery in a wooded setting and I came upon an unusual site. one of the stones in the cemetery had several red baby spiders climbing up a string of web. the web string ran down from the stone and along the surface of the ground about 14 feet away and ended at a quarter size flap in the ground. I raised the flap to find a shiny black ominous looking spider again about the size of a quarter. its main body was like a hard shell and obvious fangs. I never knew we had trap door spiders in ky. I definitely would not want to expierence a bite from this spider. specimen found in Clinton county ky.