Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Subject: Bug for identification
Location: Seattle, WA
Hello!!
I live in Seattle, Washington and we have had a warm summer for us (80 degree days) and we are now entering our fall season and the temperature has dropped to the 70’s. I have had a few of these bugs at my house and many of my friends on Facebook have said they have them too and none of us know what they are and are hoping you can help us! We appreciate any information you can provide!!
Thank you!
Signature: Brenda

Dear Brenda,
The Western Conifer Seed Bug,
Leptoglossus occidentalis, is a native species to the Pacific Northwest, but beginning in the 1960s, perhaps due to increased mobility and travel, the range began to expand.  The Western Conifer Seed Bug is now well established in much of the northern part of North America, and in the early part of the 21st century, it became established in Europe as well.  Western Conifer Seed Bugs often go unnoticed until weather begins to cool and they enter homes to hibernate.

Location: Seattle, Washington