Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Subject: what’s that bug
Location: Stockton CA
October 10, 2014 11:05 am
I live in Stockton CA, about 35 miles south of Sacramento. These bugs just started appearing in my home about a week ago. They vary in size, this one about the size ofa quarter. They can fly a bit. Saw another one about 2 inches, didn’t look quite the same but I think it was.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Signature: Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Accidentally introduced into North America from China in the last years of the twentieth century, the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is now well established in much of North America, having made an appearance in California just recently.  According to BugGuide, Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs are “Highly polyphagous, reported on ~300 plant spp. in its native range; feeds mostly on fruit, but also on leaves, stems, petioles, flowers, and seeds. Damage typically confined to the fruiting structures.”
  Though it poses a significant agricultural threat, the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug seems to draw the most attention from its habit of entering homes to hibernate when the weather begins to cool.

Location: Stockton, California

3 Responses to Invasive Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

1. The brown marmorated stink bug is an agricultural pest that can cause widespread damage to fruit and vegetable crops. Also, it’s on priority list of DOA(Department of Agriculture) for their control.

• Donna Lee says:

I live in Italy, I think this is the bug that is persistent in my garden, we are organic, so I really don’t know how to deal with them, They love the sunflowers and the silverbeet….any suggestions.?