Subject: Unidentified pinkish insect eggs. Help!
Location: Bangalore, India.
I was at a friend’s house, photographing parakeets, when I found these eggs stuck on the leaf of a banana plant. They looked really pretty, with the red dot in the middle and the lines radiating from it. None of the people we asked seemed to be able to identify what insect these eggs belonged to. Could you help us out here?
The picture was taken on October 1st, at 11 am. The weather around here is rainy right now.
Thank you! 🙂
Signature: Mollika M.

Banana Skipper Eggs

Banana Skipper Eggs

Our Automated Response:  Thank you for submitting your identification request.
Please understand that we have a very small staff that does this as a labor of love. We cannot answer all submissions (not by a long shot). But we’ll do the best we can!

Thank you for the response. I did a bit of searching myself, and I have figured out where the eggs came from. They belong to a Banana Skipper Butterfly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erionota_thrax). The species is very common around here, so it checks out.

Thanks for letting us know.  Eggs can be very difficult to identify, and knowing the plant upon which the eggs are found is a great help.  We did find an image of Banana Skipper eggs on Hawaii Plant Disease.

Location: Bangalore, India